For many of us, relaxation may mean chilling out with a beer or lazing in front of the television in order to feel relaxed. However, these aren’t exactly relaxation techniques since they do not really reduce the detrimental effects of stress and chronic depression on yourself. One must be able to help the body relax and initiate its natural relaxation reactions in order to combat the effects of stress. There are various relaxation techniques such as yoga, rhythmic exercise, meditation and deep breathing that can be used to help the body relax in the best possible way.
There is no doubt that the stress that goes into finding a depression support group is an integral part of life helping the body and the mind to toughen up. However, relaxation techniques are just as important since they rid the body of the negative effects of stress. There are several relaxation methods that can be used to achieve the same effect. However, one must keep in mind that if certain relaxation methods that work for one, they may not always work for the other. It is therefore imperative to find a technique that works for you the best bringing about a state of equilibrium in your mind and body. The relaxation methods you choose must suit you and your lifestyle the best. Combining and alternating these methods will keep you motivated to carry on with these relaxation exercises and also provide the best results.
Breathing mediation is one of the most popular relaxation exercises that can help your body and mind relax in an effective manner. The following are the steps you need to follow for this exercise.
– Sit back in a relaxed position and place one hand on your stomach while you place the other one on your chest.
– Inhale from your nose until you feel that your stomach has risen to the maximum. You should be able to feel your hand on your chest move ever so slightly.
– Now, you need to exhale all the air from your mouth. Make sure you empty your stomach of all the inhaled air.
– Repeat this exercise for anything ranging from 15 to 40 minutes and count your breath while doing so.
You can try this exercise by lying on the ground as well depending on what makes you feel comfortable.
The Muscle Relaxation Technique
This method will eventually give you a complete realization of how each muscle reacts to stress so you can control them for the better during times of stress. However, make sure you consult your doctor before trying any of these relaxation exercises. The following are the steps to be followed:
– Wear loose clothing and get comfortable.
– Practice slow breathing till you feel completely relaxed.
– Now, direct your attention to your right foot and experience how it feels. Tense the muscles and count till 10.
– Now loosen your muscles and feel the stress and tension flowing away.
– Repeat this exercise with as many muscles of the body as possible.
This exercise takes some practice and patience so make sure you dedicate the required amount of time to it.