In times of medical breakthrough, prescription drugs have proven to be effective in treating behavior and mood disorders. The brain is a complex structure where chemical processes are generated. These chemical processes maintain a balance of body and its actions. When the brain is deficient in even a single chemical, it leads to complications and many conditions, which affect the body as well as brain tremendously. Many conditions lead to depression, one of them being fewer amounts of the neurotransmitter serotonin.
Serotonin And Depression
Serotonin when not synthesized in the desired amounts result in depression and is sam-e safe. The current lifestyle and drug abuse has led to an increase in cases of depression. Combating this condition is very difficult and the sufferer has to experience great physical as well as psychological trauma. Prescription drugs help in combating depression but have many nasty side effects such as anxiety, dry mouth, abdominal pain, blurred vision etc.
Thanks to latest researches, new less harmful but equally effective drugs are being produced. Natural antidepressant though relatively new has gained a strong foothold.
These drugs like l-tyrosine supplement contain natural and herbal components that do not have any side effects, but are still very effective in curing depression.
Natural mood booster includes precursors as well as phytomedicines. Precursors included are,
• Amino acids: Amino acids is a natural mood booster that acts as neurotransmitters and sometimes as precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Hence when the body is supplied with amino acids, it helps in combating depression.
• L-tryptophan: L-tryptophan is another natural mood booster with an essential amino acid, a building block for neurotransmitter serotonin. Since it cannot be made by the body, it is acquired through plant and animal proteins. This natural antidepressant can be acquired in capsule and tablet form.
• 5-HTP: this naturally occurring amino acid is a precursor for the biosynthesis of serotonin.
• SAM-e: it is a chemical compound which when consumed by those suffering from depression, help to increase serotonin activity.
Apart from this there are some alternative antidepressant that can be equally effective.
The various herbal phytomedicines include,
• St. Johns Wort: This natural antidepressant improves depression related conditions such as anxiety, mood swings, sleep disorientation etc. It is said to be as effective as prescription drugs. This drug must not be taken along with other medications especially prescribed drugs as it could cause severe side effects.
• Kava: this herb is said to have calming and soothing effect.
• Ginkgo biloba: Healthy and regular blood flow to the brain results in proper functioning of the brain. This herb improves the blood flow to the brain, helping to level the activity of the neurotransmitters. Such an effect of this natural antidepressant helps in the normal synthesis of serotonin which is responsible for mood and mental balance.
Natural Depression Treatment
Following natural depression treatment which includes substituting prescription drugs with natural antidepressant, consuming a healthy diet which is full of vitamins, folic acid and other important nutrients and exercising helps to overcome depression and other related disorders. Alternative Antidepressant can deliver the same effects as that of any other drug if the source for this problem is identified.
Even though natural depression treatment is highly beneficial, it is advisable to first consult a doctor and substitute medicines according to the given guidelines. If not done under care, it could lead to severe complications in the future. You can also check for the alternative antidepressant methods that are offered in the depression treatment centers.